Friday, December 01, 2006

Hamza El Din (1929-2006)

I was very surprised when I received an email from one of my engineers asking if I know a lute player called Hamza El Din. His own words were "Have you heard of Hamza El’Din, the great oud player?”

I really felt embarrassed that this young American from Chicago, IL knows this guy and I don't. Especially when he told me "I can’t stop listening to one of his most recent releases. He incorporates Arabic, Nubian, and western music’s".

So I am really curious to know if any of you have ever heard about this musician ?

Here is his obituary article from SF chronicle.

4 comments:

Leilouta said...

Don’t feel bad, I never heard of him either.
We don’t have to know every single Tunsian artist :)

samsoum said...

Actually he is from Egyptian origins.

Leilouta said...

Ok then, we don't need to know every single Egyptian artist :)

samsoum said...

Ok, you convinced me :-)))